This post may contain affiliate links. Any purchases made through such links may result in Course Crave earning commissions, at no extra cost to you.
What is general transcription?
General transcription is any transcription that does not involve legal or medical transcription. Learn the truth about transcription here to see if it is the right fit for you!
What is the General Transcription: Theory & Practice course?
According to TranscribeAnywhere the online course General Transcription: Theory and Practice “is a comprehensive training course that implements multimedia content with online learning tools to effectively prepare students to master the art of transcribing audio or video into text documents for clients in a multitude of industries (other than medical and legal).”
For an inside look into the course you may take a video tour of the course here.
How will this course help me?
General transcription could be a great option for you if you are looking for a new work from home career. As an excellent transcriptionist, you could provide your transcription services to an assortment of professionals looking for transcription work to be done. The course General Transcription: Theory and Practice will help you learn the latest techniques and shortcuts required to become skilled and confident in transcription work. General transcriptionists can earn around $45,000 annually, with potential to expand your work to make much more than this.
What is included in the course?
- Training modules
- Tutorial videos
- Printable cheat sheets for shortcut keys
- Transcription style guide
- Seven levels of practice dictations (60+ audio/video files)
- Quick downloads
- Transcription templates
- Sample client contracts
What will I learn?
In this course, a few of the things you will learn are:
- Types of transcription work available and how to find work either as an employee or independent contractor
- How to format a transcription
- General transcription style
- Punctuation and spelling for transcription work
- How to use shortcut keys and text expanders
- How to use tools to increase in efficiency and speed
- Time coding
- Commonly used transcription notes
- How to transcribe difficult audio
- The details of how to set up a home based transcription business
Look at the Course Syllabus link here to see more details about what is taught. Or see “What is the course content?” below.
Who is the course creator?
General Transcription: Theory and Practice has been created by Janet Shaughnessy. She is a professional transcriptionists with over 30 years of education and experience. She has also been the owner of Zoom Transcription Services for over 10 years. You can read Janet’s post here to learn more about her and the truth about transcription as she dispels 15 common transcription myths.
Why choose General Transcription: Theory & Practice course?
If you are interested in transcription work but would like to avoid the declining need for medical transcription work then general transcription could be a good fit for you.
As a trained general transcriptionist the doors to various transcription opportunities will be opened to you. In this course, you will learn so much more than typing and will avoid the mistake of rushing into transcribing without the proper training and thus ruining your reputation. Upon completion of this course, you will be confident in transcribing a wide variety of audio from clients such as: authors, filmmakers, interviewers, podcasters, educators, speakers, commercial creators, and marketing professionals. The course creator, Janet, has over 30 years of transcription experience which she has poured into making this course.
Unlike some other transcription courses, this course makes sure to include a focus on punctuation as a key element in being an excellent transcriptionist. It also gives a lot of information on how to find clients (so that you can avoid working for big transcription companies who pay very little).
General Transcription: Theory and Practice is approved by the American Association of Electronic Reporters and Transcribers. Also, it is unique in that there are payment plans provided for those who would like to pay as they move through the levels.
Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for those who have an eye for detail, have patience, and have an ability to sit for long periods of time. Unlike Janet’s Legal Transcription course, which is useful for only those living in the US, the General Transcription course can be taken by anyone worldwide. However, it is essential that the student have excellent command of the English language.
Not everyone is suited to this type of work. It is important that the student be self-motivated and not prone to procrastination. In addition, other important characteristics to have are: strong organizational and time-management skills, comfortable working independently, flexible to changing routines, quick typing skills, excellent listening skills, thorough research skills, technology proficiency, and a high level of patience.
If you are considering taking this course, it is recommended that you complete the free Transcription Foundations mini-course.
Who is this course not for?
This course is not suited towards though who struggle to work independently and lack self-motivation to complete tasks in a timely fashion. It is also not a good course for those not willing to put in the time and work needed to becoming an expert transcriptionist.
What is the level of this course: beginner, intermediate or advanced?
There is no prior knowledge needed for this course as it thoroughly walks the student through all steps to becoming a general transcriptionist from beginning to end. Thus, it is suitable for beginners and semi-skilled transcriptionists.
How long does it take to complete the course?
This course typically takes students two to four months to complete. However, you may work on this at your own pace as there is no time limit to complete it. You have lifetime access to the course.
What is the format?
The General Transcription: Theory and Practice course is delivered as:
- Video training
- Screencast tutorial demonstrations
- Practice dictations
What is the course content?
Module 1: Laying the Foundation
- Unit 1: Introduction
- Unit 2: The Right Equipment for the Job
- Unit 3: General Transcription Style
- Unit 4: Standard vs. Strict Verbatim Audio Quiz
- Unit 5: Types of General Transcription Jobs
- Unit 6: Formatting a Transcript
Module 2: Essential Skills for Excellent Transcription
- Unit 1: Punctuation Makes Perfect
- Unit 2: Punctuation Practice
- Unit 3: Spelling: The Lost Art
- Unit 4: Transcribing Numbers
- Unit 5: Miscellaneous Transcription Issues
Module 3: Time-Saving Tools for Efficient Transcription
- Unit 1: Using Text Expanders and Shortcut Keys
- Unit 2: Shortcut Keys for the Top 102 Most Frequently Used English Phrases
- Unit 3: Spell Check, Search + Replace, & Modern Usage Notes
- Unit 4: Commonly Used Transcriptionists’ Notes
- Unit 5: Using Transcription Templates (Includes Downloads)
- Unit 6: Time Coding
Module 4: Practice Dictations
- Unit 1: Introduction to Practice Dictations
- Unit 2: Level 1 Practice Dictations: Clear Audio in Simple, Short Videos
- Unit 3: Level 2 Practice Dictations: Audio-Only Files; Non-American English Accents
- Unit 4: Level 3 Practice Dictations: Transcribing “Strict Verbatim” Style
- Unit 5: Level 4 Practice Dictations: Transcribing Multiple Speakers
- Unit 6: Level 5 Practice Dictations: Semi-Poor Audio Quality & Researching Skills
- Unit 7: Level 6 Practice Dictations: Working with Time Codes
- Unit 8: Level 7 Practice Dictations: Transcribing Poor Audio with Foreign Accents
Module 5: Building Your Business
- Unit 1: Income Guidelines and Setting Your Rates
- Unit 2: Developing a Business Plan
- Unit 3: Social Media
- Unit 4: Customer Service Essentials
- Unit 5: Connecting With Clients
- Unit 6: Search Engine Optimization (SEO), PPC, AdSense, and All the Rest
- Unit 7: Top Business Directories for Local Marketing
- Unit 8: Where to Find Contract Work
- Unit 9: How to Find Clients on YouTube
- Unit 10: Opportunities for Expanding Your Services
Module 6: Final Exam and Certification of Completion
What is the cost?
The total for the course is $597.
There is a payment plan available which enables students to pay for parts of the course upon completing each level, in order to spread out the payment required. There are three packages with different payment options of $127, $362, and $597. There is no extra total cost for paying by level.
There is also a discount for purchasing both General Transcription and Legal Transcription courses.
When is enrollment open?
Enrollment remains open for this course.
What else do I need in order to complete this training?
In order to adequately make use of this training, it is required that you have:
- Computer and workspace
- Reliable high speed internet
- Word processing software
- Transcription equipment (the course will help with choosing this)
How is the course accessed?
You will create a username and password during enrollment. The course can then be accessed through the TranscribeAnywhere website login.
Are there any bonuses included?
There is a bonus unit focused on marketing included with this course.
Is there after-sale support available?
Yes. You may email Janet at any time for help with this course. She also recommends taking part in the Facebook group as answers to questions are often answered there quickly by other students and transcriptionists.
What if I am not happy with my purchase?
TranscribeAnywhere does not offer refunds for courses purchased. It is recommended to take the free Transcription Foundations mini-course before purchase.
Does the course purchase include future updates?
Yes. Future updates of this course are provided at no additional cost.
How long will I have access to this course?
Upon purchase, you will have access to this course forever.
What else should I know about General Transcription: Theory and Practice?
Although TranscribeAnywhere does not provide refunds for course purchases, they honor their “100% thorough” guarantee. This means that if you feel there is anything missing in the training that would be helpful to you, TranscribeAnywhere will be sure to add it the course ensuring that you receive the training with your lifetime updates and access.
Is there a Facebook group?
Yes. As a student of this course you will receive lifetime access to the student support forum on Facebook.
Is there a freebie available?
TranscribeAnywhere offers a free General Transcription Mini-Course for those interested in the General Transcription: Theory & Practice course.
Interested in learning more about the Legal Transcription course? Take advantage of the free Legal Transcription Mini-Course to see if legal transcription is a good fit for you.
Also available by TranscribeAnywhere:
- Free General Transcription Mini-Course
- Free Legal Transcription Mini-Course
- Legal Transcription: Theory & Practice
Every effort to provide accurate and current information about this product has been made. However, Course Crave assumes no liability or responsibility for omissions or errors that may appear. Purchase of this product occurs on the course creator’s independent page. Refunds are not available through Course Crave. Please refer to individual course creator for related refund policies. Purchase is strictly at your own risk.